I don't live near your office, can you still act for me?

We can still act for you, wherever you live. You will have access to all the information via our case tracking system which means that you can keep up-to-date with progress on your file 24 hours a day 7 days a week. There is no need to take time out to attend meetings as we will deal with your transaction using post, email and telephone as appropriate.

How do I instruct you to act for me?

Please request a quote now, you will need to sign and return the forms we send you in order to instruct us. You will also find these forms in our download centre.

Do you need any money upfront?

Yes, in the case of a Sale we shall need £50 which can be paid by cheque made payable to 'Mundys Property Lawyers' or by debit/credit card. Please note that there is a bank charge when paying by debit/credit card and these charges are set out in our terms of engagement.

In a purchase transaction we shall require £300 on account of searches, please let us have your cheque for this sum made payable to 'Mundys Property Lawyers'.

How much will it cost? just a ballpark figure

Conveyancing fees for selling a property are generally cheaper than for buying a property. As a rough guide, our typical costs for conveyancing start from £350+ VAT and disbursements with the fees being payable upon completion of the transaction.

But I can find online conveyancing sites cheaper!

Yes, you will find many sites offering very cheap conveyancing from £99. However, what a lot of people do not realise, often until it is too late, is that there are usually a lot of hidden extras which will soon bump up the price. Also, in some cases, you may be dealing with unqualified persons.

Our quotes are highly competitive and you can rest assured that your matter is being dealt with by a Qualified Person. You can always reach the person dealing with your file, either by phone or email. If that person is busy leave a message and they will call you back. Should you choose to do so, you can keep track of progress on your file using our Track-a-Matter service.

We offer a personal service which is not necessarily the cheapest but which is, we think, the best. Remember, in Conveyancing, as in Life, generally, you tend to get what you pay for!

How long does it take from a sale agreed to completion?

As every transaction is different it is impossible to give an exact timeframe, however an average transaction usually takes between 6-8 weeks. Some cash transactions can be completed very quickly where full cooperation is given by the other parties conveyancer.

I need to complete as quickly as possible - can you help?

We know that some property transfers need to happen more quickly than the average 6-8 week timeframe. If you let us know from the outset, Mundys Property Lawyers team can pull out all the stops to complete in a couple of weeks (subject to receipt of mortgage offer). Providing that the other parties are equally as motivated, we can usually work with our clients to meet their deadlines.

When do I need to arrange Buildings Insurance?

Unless the building insurance is being arranged by your mortgage lender or it is a leasehold property and insurance is put in place by the freeholder, you must ensure that the property is insured from exchange of contracts. Houses should be insured not necessarily for the price paid, but for the estimated cost of rebuilding which will be estimated by your valuer - this figure can usually be found in your valuation report or mortgage offer.

How much Deposit do I need to pay?

On exchange of contracts you will need to pay a deposit of 10% or less to the Sellers Solicitors as part payment of the purchase price. If you decide to pull out of the transaction between exchange and completion then the Seller has a right to keep whatever deposit you have paid. If less than 10% they may sue you for the balance up to 10% and then sell the property to someone else. If you are selling and buying then we can use your buyers deposit as the deposit on your purchase so you will not have to raise your own deposit.

I am selling to a family member. Do I still need a Licensed Conveyancer?

Yes, you do still need the services of a conveyancing professional such as a Licensed Conveyancer, even if you are selling to a family member. You might like to consider using us to represent both the buyer and seller (providing that there is no conflict).This will save you time and money and keeps everything in one place.

I have inherited a property. What do I need to do next?

If you have inherited a property then contact us to arrange for the formal transfer documents to be prepared. Inheriting a property can be complicated, especially if it has been left to more than one person, so the services of a licensed conveyancer can come in very handy.

What are Disbursements?

Simply put this means items that we, the conveyancer, must pay to other persons on your behalf. Typically these are Stamp Duty, Land Registry Fees and searches.

What searches do I need?

You will no doubt have heard of conveyancing searches but may wonder what is involved. Searches are so called because they involve a search of a set of records relating to a certain property or area which are held by the Local Authority and various other Authorities. All the searches listed below are this type of paper-based search, involving no physical inspection of the property:- Local Authority Search, Drainage and Water Search, Environmental Search, Plansearch, Chancelcheck, Land Charges Search, Bankruptcy Search, Official Search.

What is Track-a-Matter?

Track-a-Matter is a purpose built on-line conveyancing tracking system. As one of our clients you will not only be able to access your own file on our website by way of a dedicated username and password, you will also be advised by e-mail and, if it is easier, text message, of any changes to the status of your file. You will also be able to send on-line messages to us if you are not sure about anything.

With your permission, we can also allow your estate agent and financial advisor to have access to your file so that he is also fully aware of how things are going. Please advise us in writing at the outset if you would like to activate track-a-matter for your file.

What does it cost?

Nothing at all! It is a complimentary service available to all our clients if they want to use it. Once you have signed up you can use it as much or as little as you like. If you require this service then please advise us at the outset.

Will it speed up my move?

In conveyancing, as in most things, the efficient spread of information to those who need to know is the key to efficiency. Allowing all parties to have instant access to that information means that decisions can be taken quickly and situation that might otherwise cause delay can be anticipated and dealt with efficiently

If I am both buying and selling, can I track both matters?

Yes - our system allows you to track any number of matters. Simply choose whichever one you are concerned with from your personalised list.

Does anyone else apart from my lawyer, have access to my file?

Generally, no. Access to your file is via a dedicated username and password. However, with your permission, your estate agent and financial advisor can have access, as long as they are approved agents of Mundy's. Allowing them access to your file can be extremely useful in allowing them to push matters forward on your behalf.

What personal details appear on the site and will any of this be made available to third parties?

Apart from your name and the address of the property you are buying or selling, no other personal details will appear on the tracking pages. No information is provided to outside agencies.

What happens if my sale, purchase or remortgage does not proceed?

All details will be removed from the site.

How personal is your service?

Unlike many on-line conveyancing firms we pride ourselves in providing a personal service where you get to deal with an experienced lawyer who has the knowledge and experience to see your case in the whole, and to understand what needs to be done. You will have your own dedicated lawyer who will be able to deal with any queries and when they are not available, a Secretary who is able to assist. The Track-a- Matter system is designed to add to that personal service by providing a further level of information for all our clients.

How do I sign up?

Either contact us by phone, fill in our on-line contact form or email us.

What happens then?

When you instruct us, one of our team will be assigned to your case. Your Conveyancer will write to you with our instruction pack which includes our Terms of Engagement and all the information we need to get the ball rolling. As soon as we have your replies, we shall open your Track-a-Matter file - if you have requested us to do so - and the system will be live.

What if I can't access my file?

Simply call or e-mail us and we shall sort it out.

Why should I use Mundy's?

We provide a fast, efficient and personal service and have many years experience of acting for clients all over the country. As long as the property you are buying or selling is in England or Wales, we can act for you. We have made a substantial; investment in the latest IT and can communicate with you by e-mail or text message. We can even use the post if you prefer!

Why should Estate Agents use Mundy's?

With Mundy's you can get a detailed quote together with accurate details of all other costs (Stamp Duty Land Tax, Land Registry fees etc). Our on-line quote request system is fast efficient and personal - it provides an impressive service for your clients

When we are acting for your clients, you will be issued with a dedicated user name and password which will enable you to track the progress of all cases in which you are involved. As the case progresses, you will be able to see whenever new information is entered on your clients' files- keeping you fully informed of progress as matters move to exchange of contracts or completion. If you need further information or have a query, a member of our team will be available to help you by phone or e-mail.

Do you pay an introductory commission?

Yes , we do. As Licensed Conveyancers, we are regulated by the Council for Licensed Conveyancers (CLC). Our professional rules allow the payment of introductory commission to third parties provided that this is disclosed to the client. This is made clear in our Terms of Engagement.

How is introductory commission calculated and paid?

Full details will be provided when we are able to discuss matters in more detail with you.

Is this system open to any Estate Agent?

No - we will only accept applicants who have a proven track record of service and efficiency

How do I apply to join your list of "approved on-line introducers"?

Just contact one of our partners who will take you through the system and deal with any questions you may have

What details can be accessed on-line?

Approved agents and introducers can, with the consent of the client, view stage details of all live matters. An on-line messaging system is also provided and text messages can also be used to provide updates.

What are the system's IT requirements?

Since you are presumably viewing this on-line, you probably have all that is needed. Permanent or dial-up internet access is all that is necessary.

There it is - a modern, simple and efficient system that deals, once and for all, with the problem of communication. An informed client is a happy client!!

We look forward to hearing from you.

Submit your own FAQ here


Find out more about the operation of the Council for Licensed Conveyancers.